Switching from Aquaforest back to FM

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Switching from Aquaforest back to FM

hi guys, some advice please.

I originally ran the FM zeo-light method for approx 6 months of 2016. I had many problems with corals sudden RTN and algae's etc with no real understanding why. I ran exactly as the guide recommended.

After failings and losing all my corals, I reset my reef. New rock, New Corals and new water etc... I followed Aquaforest programme as in their guide and had fantastic colouration but slow growth.

Now 9 months into the programme, AF products have become increasingly expensive and the daily dosing of their products has become too much. Just like KZ this system is too much focused on daily adding of products.

In addition I still have to run rowaphos to remove excess phosphates, something I wanted to avoid because it is so messy.

Ideally I would like a system which only requires me to feed my fish and the little monthly maintenance.

I am tempted to return to FM as my growth rate was always best with this system. But I DO NOT want to add zeolite stones into my setup.

I have 700L Nett volume of water. (500L display and 200L sump) with liverock (30kg) and siporax (40lts) in my system. I use TMC Pro Reef salt.

Currently my tanks is
      alk-7.3dkh
      ca-405ppm
      mg- 1220ppm
      k-390ppm
      no3- ~5ppm
      po4- ~0.03/0.04ppm (merck kit)

1. Is it possible to use a zeo-light style system without the zeostones?
      2. I was thinking of using Reef vitality, coral balance, carbL and colour elements only. With the addition of the bactoballs to provide bacteria and carbon source to the reef. Is this possible or would minS also be required?
      3. Must I still use phos remover? rowaphos? or is it possible to use ultraphos (aluminium) as it is much easier to use?

***Could somebody please provide some explanations and if possible a dosing guide and plan to make the switch back to Fauna Marin.***

• Hi,

vikz schrieb:

1. Is it possible to use a zeo-light style system without the zeostones?
      Sure. Since you would be using most of the products that make up the Zeo-Light system, you will still be able to achieve similar results to what the full system provides. The primary role of the Zeo-Light media is to provide a home for the beneficial bacteria to colonize which in-turn allows for increased nutrient reduction efficiency.

2. I was thinking of using Reef vitality, coral balance, carbL and colour elements only. With the addition of the bactoballs to provide bacteria and carbon source to the reef. Is this possible or would minS also be required?
      Bacto Reef Balls is perfectly compatible with those products. Ultra Min S serves a different purpose as it is a food source for all types of coral.

3. Must I still use phos remover? rowaphos? or is it possible to use ultraphos (aluminium) as it is much easier to use?
      The need for a PO4 remover will vary from tank to tank as everyone's feeding and maintenance habits are different. It would be best to monitor your PO4 levels and use a PO4 remover when necessary. I would recommend using Ultra Phos 0,04 as it is just as easy to use and requires minimal rinsing.

These are the starting dosages for your tank:

Reef Vitality
      3/4 capsule every 4 days or 2x/week, which ever option fits your schedule best

Coral Balance
      3.5 spoons every 4 days or 2x/week, which ever option fits your schedule best

Color Elements
      3.5ml every 4 days or 2x/week for the first 3 weeks. Thereafter, increase each dosage by 0.5-1ml per 100L until you reach the normal dosage of 2-3ml per 100L.

Ultra Carb L
      350g in a media reactor; replace every 4 weeks

The above dosage amounts were calculated by using our Zeo-Light manual. It is safe to dose RV and CB on the same day, but Color Elements must not be added on the same day as Reef Vitality.

The key is to take things slowly so your tank can adjust to the new method.
    • 1. so is ultraphas 0.04 not GFO product like rowaphos???

because I always find those products very messy

How does ultraphos 0.04 look and feel?

2. Can Ultra MinS be diluted with RODI water to make easy automatic dosing? Does it require to be mixed/shaken before dosing?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()

• thanks vinny for all the help.

I have made the switch and will monitor corals closely.

I assume regarding Min S dosing (0.7ml - 2.1ml).

1. I would dose on the lower (0.7ml) amount and slowly increase. If coral tissue begins to darken then reduce the amount dosed.
      2. If nitrate drops further and coral become more pale, then increase the MinS dosing (max 2.1ml)

Does this sound correct?

What are signs of overdosing and underdosing MinS?
    • On more thing Vinny, I noticed today 3 of my acropora have lost tissue on their base overnight.

The tissue was there yesterday and today it is gone. roughly a 5-8mm rim around their bases.

I swapped systems on Monday 13/03. All dosing of Aquaforest products (carbon source, foods and trace elements had stopped)

My dosing so far.
      Monday - 0.5 capsule RV and 2spoons coral balance (30 mins apart)
      Tuesday - 0.7ml MinS
      Wednesday (today) - 0.7ml MinS

Should I be concerned about the coral base?
    • hi vinny,

I have been using the method as per your advice but have some questions.

My nitrate level has not changed and is still at 5ppm. PO4 level is also stable at 0.015ppm. Which is not bad, however I would prefer lower Nitrate to get the better colouration from corals. My australian corals have suffered the most.

I also noticed the following: I usually need replace my rowaphos media every 4 weeks as it is exhausted, but currently my po4 has not changed. The media is 5 weeks old. Perhaps the coral balance is assisting the rowaphos? I have not removed media yet, incase it is still required.

So my dosages of products have been as follows:

13/03/17 - Week 1
      0.5 capsule RV x2 weekly
      3.5 spoons CB x2 weekly
      0.7ml MinS daily
      14 bacto-balls

no3- 5ppm
      po4- 0.015ppm

20/03/17 - Week 2
      1 capsule RV x2 weekly
      3.5 spoons CB x2 weekly
      0.7ml MinS daily
      4ml Colour Elements x2 weekly

no3- 5ppm
      po4- 0.015ppm

27/03/2017 - Week 3 (today)
      1.5 capsule RV x2 weekly
      3.5 spoons CB x2 Weekly
      0.7ml MinS daily
      4ml Colour Elements x2 weekly
      replaced 14 bacto balls

no3- 5ppm
      po4- 0.015ppm

I am hoping that:
      1. I can remove rowaphos totally, that CB can deal with the po4 in the system, but not sure if I it can. Suggestions?
      2. I want to lower nitrates but dont know what further I should do. Perhaps the new dosage of 1.5 capsules per week will help? It is now at the recommended level.
      3. Do you feel the only way forward is to introduce zeostones? how many?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()

• vikz schrieb:

1. I can remove rowaphos totally, that CB can deal with the po4 in the system, but not sure if I it can. Suggestions?
      2. I want to lower nitrates but dont know what further I should do. Perhaps the new dosage of 1.5 capsules per week will help? It is now at the recommended level.
      3. Do you feel the only way forward is to introduce zeostones? how many?
      1. The combination of BRB, Coral Balance, and RV are assisting with PO4 control. Whether you can eliminate RowaPhos or not will depend on how much PO4 is being imported through foods vs. how much is exported. It would be best to slowly reduce the amount of Rowa with every new batch.
      2. Nitrate 5ppm is within the acceptable range for SPS coloration. How are you finding the colors of your coral? Dark, very dark, pale? Providing this info will help determine which product dose to adjust.
      3. Please post some photos of the condition of your coral.
    • hi Vinny

Thank you for replying.

1. Noted, I will halve the amount used, once PO4 starts to climb. Or do you suggest I change rowaphos next week regardless. (8 weeks)
      2. Corals are darker. Not brown but they have lost their vibrance and definition in colour. Everything looks drab and dull. Eg. Tri-colour A.Valida just looks purple and brown. Blue A humilis has darkened. A Millepora has lost its shade of purple, its just a solid dark purple etc....
      3.Two corals RTN'd over the last few weeks. Within hours of dosing RV and CB. Even though I slowly increased RV to 1.5 capsule (over 4 weeks).
      I have attached Pictures of some of the darker corals for you to see. I am struggling with blue colours also, though my Potassium level is 420ppm.

I am dosing currently on 700L nett volume

14 bactoballs every 2 weeks changed
      1.5 capsule RV x2 weekly
      3.5 spoons CB x2 weekly
      0.7ml MinS daily
      4ml CE x2 weekly

What are your thoughts?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()

• Hi Vinny

I hope the pictures are clear, you can tell from my M. Digitata forest fire, the bright red and green has gone, now its just a brick-red digi. Its hard to explain but the depth and intensity of colours has left, all corals are dark dull, single coloured.

1. I will increase the CE dosage to 8ml x2 weekly from the next dose (Wednesday)

2. No, I have an ATI hybrid for the last 2 years. No changes apart from using a different branded tubes since January. I normally use ATI tubes. This time I tried pacific sun tubes, but I am not very impressed with them. I think they lose their power very quickly. But I cannot prove this. Its just a feeling I have.

3. I read in the FM Ultralith manual, the following: "The more nutrients you have in your aquarium, the more Ultramin S you will have to use. Whenyou nutrient levels start to drop you have to reduce the dose accordingly to avoid overdosing"
      Do you suggest I dose more MinS to reduce my no3 ?
    • The new combination of bulbs can certainly be a factor in the change of coral color, especially if the overall spectrum has changed. A change in spectrum does not always mean that the corals will immediately react to it, it can take several weeks for the effects of the change to be noticed. This change can be gradual or rapid. On the meantime, increase the CE dosage and give it at least 2-3 weeks before making any further adjustments.