Switching from Aquaforest back to FM

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• hi vinny

I have had a few problems and need some advice. Last week 7th April 2017 I damaged my ATI Hybrid so it no longer works. So Temporarily my reef is running on 2x T5 tubes only. Until I can get my lights repaired.

What I have found in the meantime is
      1. Nutrients have increased massively NO3 - 12ppm Po4 - 0.03ppm
      2. Some corals have now white tips and algae growth overnight.

My current Dosage
      1.5 RV x2 weekly
      3.5 sp CB x2 weekly
      0.7ml MinS daily
      8ml Colour Elements x2 weekly

Before the damage to my lights nutrients were NO3- 5ppm and Po4 - 0.015ppm

I wanted to know why nutrients what have increased so dramatically. My dosages have been the same now for 6 weeks. Is this because the corals have stopped photosynthesis (since last week)so they are not using the Reef Vitality and Coral Balance anymore. SO nutrients are not absorbed/removed?

What do you suggest I do currently to reduce nutrients while I wait to fix my lights?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()

• Hi
      Yes when you reduce the light, also the changing of energy in biomass then you stop this process and all energy which comes in the tank will now used by bacteria and algea. reduce MIN S zu .0.05 ml RV and Baance stop completly
      made 2 bigger waterchanges ( 20 % ) this should help
      rgds claude
      Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Fauna Marin GmbH // ExtremeCorals
      faunamarin.de
    • Hi Claude and Vinny

I have made 3x 15% waterchanges last week, as I was not able to store 20% water.

My lighting has been repaired and back above my reef since the last 3 days. Current nutrition levels

no3 - 12-24ppm
      po4 - 0.03-0.045ppm

No obvious signs of algae etc. colouration of corals has darkened but they look healthy with good polyp extension on all species.

1. When should I look to restart my dosing of products?
      2. Is my previous dosing ok or should I reduce?
      3. A friend told me, when using CB I should mix it first and leave for a few hours in container before adding to reef tank. Is this correct?
    • Since the light is now back to running normal, your coral's photosynthesis pattern has likely returned to its normal state. You can begin adding CB and RV at the original dosages before you stopped. When you mix CB, about 90% of it will immediately dissolve after shaking. If you find that there is still some chunks left over, mix with more water and shake again. Whether you add the mix immediately or 10 minutes after shaking will make no difference. Just be sure to pour it into a high flow area.
    • Vinny,

Is it ok for me to dose RV and CB, one day after the other for example CB on Thursday, RV on Friday, then CE on saturday
      or is it better/more efficient to dose RV and CB on the same day?

I know that RV and CE must not be dosed on the same day

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()

• HI Vinny

Quick update.

NO3 ~10ppm
      po4 - 0.015ppm ******

No change in Nitrates vinny, but some corals look darker and there is now some green algae growing on glass sides. This is algae and not the 'bacterial film' types that normally grow. I can tell as my purple tang also eats it, as I scrape it off.

****** I have not used and phos reducing media since re-starting, 28/04/17. I have been monitoring po4 levels and it is low on the merk test kit I have. However to my visually there looks to be signs of po4, corals are darker, as mentioned and the glass sides have some algae. There is not much visual algae but I do not wish for it to increase.

My current dosing is

1x RV twice week
      3.5 CB twice week
      0.7ml MinS daily
      7ml CE twice week
      14 Bactoballs changed every 2 weeks.

My questions, if you can help are.
      1. I think the po4 reading is false. What ever slight po4 I have algae is using. Hence the visual algae on the glass and pumps. I dont wish it to increase. I was considering using Ultraphos Aluminum beads (I have some spare and it is easy to use than powerphos). Label states 50g per 200l (175g total for me). I was thinking of around half this dose, maybe 85g total. Thoughts?
      2. I will gladly increase bactoballs dosage. Is it better still to use 3x dose (so 21 balls for me) or stick to 18 only????
      3. Should I adjust any of my other dosages above?
      4. What do you mean by cleaning the sandbed? Removal or vacuum??

Thanks
    • Hi,

See responses below.

1. I think the po4 reading is false. What ever slight po4 I have algae is using. Hence the visual algae on the glass and pumps. I dont wish it to increase. I was considering using Ultraphos Aluminum beads (I have some spare and it is easy to use than powerphos). Label states 50g per 200l (175g total for me). I was thinking of around half this dose, maybe 85g total. Thoughts?
      Yes, 85g is okay if your PO4 test kit can register lower PO4 values.

2. I will gladly increase bactoballs dosage. Is it better still to use 3x dose (so 21 balls for me) or stick to 18 only????
      Steady changes are best, use 18 balls.

3. Should I adjust any of my other dosages above?
      No

4. What do you mean by cleaning the sandbed? Removal or vacuum??
      Vacuuming the sand in-parts will help remove the pockets of detritus and other build-up from the sand.
    • Hi Vinny

Quick update

NO3 - 6ppm today
      Po4 - 0.03ppm today

Dosing
      1 RV x2 weekly
      3.5 CB x2 weekly
      0.7ml MinS Daily
      7ml CE x2 weekly
      18 BRB changed every 2 weeks

I am unsure about the phosphate as I have mentioned, I can see physical algae starting to grow on glass and pumps.

Currently not using any phos media. I was going to use UltraPhos (aluminium @ 85g) like you recommended. But My local store has told me to use UltraPhos 0.04 or RowaPhos. He has warned against aluminmium beads. Why is there so much contraversy with Al beads phos medias?

I know the two he recommends are Iron based, which I dont want to use because of the mess.

I have attached some Pictures for your attention. Could you please have a look and give me your recommendations?
      1. Ultraphos, Rowaphos or Ultraphos 0.04, and dosing amount please?
      2. I am still dosing 7ml CE x2 weekly. should I look to increase the amount?
      3. Should I adjust any of my other dosing levels?
      4. Is there any benefit of me adding UltraBak to my dosing to further reduce NO3?

Vik
      Bilder
      • P6110398.JPG

674,65 kB, 1.152×864, 43 mal angesehen
      • P6110401.JPG

638,16 kB, 1.152×864, 42 mal angesehen
      • P6110400.JPG

829,65 kB, 1.182×887, 53 mal angesehen

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()

• When deciding which kind of PO4 remover to use, it's a matter of choice and purpose. Using an Al-based remover only becomes an issue if too much media is added to the tank. At 85g, it is completely safe and should help limit the hair algae growth on the pump.

Phos 0,04 is a good option. It will maintain your PO4 at 0.04mg/L and runs very clean.

1. Ultraphos, Rowaphos or Ultraphos 0.04, and dosing amount please?
      UltraPhos - 85g

2. I am still dosing 7ml CE x2 weekly. should I look to increase the amount?
      What are your Ca, Alk, and Mg levels testing at?

3. Should I adjust any of my other dosing levels?
      Decrease MinS to 0.5ml only if you are seeing the green film develop within 1 or 2 days of dosing.

4. Is there any benefit of me adding UltraBak to my dosing to further reduce NO3?
      There is no problem with having NO3 at 6ppm. Typical range is between 2-5ppm, but the difference of 1 or 2 ppm will not provide any added benefit.

I recommend using our Seawater Research Lab test service; Business Test. It will allow you to get a better picture of your parameters and make adjustments according to those results.
    • Thanks for clarifying that vinny. Its just worrying when people start saying aluminium will kill my corals and is dangerous etc.. Its just so easy to use.

I have added 85g to my reef. Is it worth slowly adding to bring it to a total of 175g over a period say a week or so? or Just leave at current dose?

My levels as requested are Ca-405ppm, Alk- 8dkh, Mg-1290ppm

Should I decrease dose to 0.5ml Daily or Alternate day day like guide states?

I have added some pics of my corals so you can get an idea of their dark colours.
      Bilder
      • P6130402.JPG

277,08 kB, 1.280×960, 35 mal angesehen
      • P6130403.JPG

319,85 kB, 1.280×960, 40 mal angesehen
      • P6130404.JPG

307,35 kB, 1.280×960, 49 mal angesehen
      • P6130406.JPG

314,76 kB, 1.280×960, 38 mal angesehen
      • P6130407.JPG

305,92 kB, 1.280×960, 36 mal angesehen
      • P6130408.JPG

287,98 kB, 1.280×960, 41 mal angesehen

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()