Switching from Aquaforest back to FM

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• great, thank you vinny.

I will incorporate the following routine now

M - RV
      T - CS
      W - CB and CE (not dosed simultaneously)
      T - CS
      F - RV
      S - CS and CE (not dosed simultaneously)
      S - CB
      Along with daily MinS (automated)

Does the above look ok, or should I change anything.

Is it possible to stop dosing Ultra Organics as it is often another thing to remember and I would prefer to keep things as simple as possible? or will my corals suffer as a result?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()

• Hi vinny.

I have noticed coral colours starting to darken over the last week.

I made 2 changes to my system. Bit of a schoolboy error, I should have made only 1 change, sorry.
      These changes were
      1. Started dosing 1/2 spoon CS x3 week
      2. Increased organics dose from 2ml to now 3.5ml daily.

What do you suggest to bring things back inline?
    • Hi vinny

I have cut dosing as advised.

Colours seem to be returning, thank you.

1. I have also recently added a large T. Maxima to the tank. Do I need to make any adjustments to my dosing schedule as a result?

2. When is the best time to dose CS? Currently I dose in morning when lights are off. But is there a better time, e.g during photoperiod or sunset etc.
    • hi vinny,

quick update, all corals seem to be happy and settled using my dosing regime.

My clam however does not seem to like my tank, he does not settle or open his mantle up. Maybe I have too much flow for it. I will look to move it on to another reefer.

I have removed all my substrate, slowly over a period of 3 weeks. The tank is now bare bottom. It looks nice for now, until it starts to get covered in coralline.

I was thinking of adding larger substrate so it does not blow around as much, but I have been told it will be a bad idea as it will trap more detritus than the finer stuff.

Do you know of any reef tanks that run bare bottom long term and look great?

I have attached pic of reef as of today. Do you suggest I change or add anything to my dosages? I still cant seem to get that pastel look of colours that many other reefers achieve.

• That's a massive improvement! Looks great!

Check the clam for any pests or tears on the mantle. Does it still react when you move your hand over it?

The pastel look is personal preference and is typically achieved by limiting the food available to SPS coral and reducing nutrients even further. Keep in mind that some corals may not transition well in further nutrient depleted water. From what I can see in the photo, your colors are looking healthy and not starved. Did you ever start dosing Ultra Organic?

Increasing CE Blue and CE Red by 25% will help strengthen your colors some more. Dosing Organic will also help improve the coloration of your Pocillopora, Stylophora, and Seriatopora.

How many hours are you running your peak lighting schedule?
      Have you noticed more consistent growth lately?

It is definitely possible to run BB tanks for the long-term.

If you do decide to add sand, 2-3mm grain size is best. We also suggest you use real coral sand and not the artificial sand because it tends to cause issues with the aquarium chemistry.
    • Hi vinny

Thanks for your kind words and support.

1. I don’t think the clam likes the amount of flow in the tank. No pests and mantle does react when out.

2. I did dose organic for a very short spell but stopped as I kept forgetting. Should I start back up daily dosing? How much do you suggest? (I dose 0.4ml MinS daily)

3. I am dosing 14ml CE all same x2 weekly. So should I leave green dose at 14ml and increase red and blue to 17ml each.

4. I also started Coral sprint but stopped because I thought RV was feeding coral already. Should I start this back up also or will it further darken my corals?

5. Peak lighting is 6 hours per day. With 3 hour ramp up and down. Growth (alk demand) has actually dropped massively since removal of crushed coral substrate. I don’t know why, perhaps the substrate was using it. I hope it will pick up again soon.
    • 2. Yes, please dose Organic 3.5ml daily.

3. Green colors look good to me. You can maintain the current CE Green dose and increase only CE Red and Blue.

4. RV and CS do feed corals, but in a different way. CS is a direct food source, whereas RV breaks down existing organics into a consumable food source. Start adding 50% of the recommended CS amount. Adding too much of this product will darken up colors. That's why it is best to start with low dosages and steadily increase until you see what your corals need.

5. Increase the peak lighting to 7 hours and hold for 2 weeks, then increase again by 1 hour for a total of 8 hour peak period. The increase of lighting duration will very likely increase the ALK consumption so do test every week to make sure your KH level remains stable.
    • Hi vinny

Some more advice please. I have kept my dosing as per your recommendations.

My current levels
      Alk -7.3
      Mg- 1320
      No3 -5ppm
      Po4 -0.03ppm

I use bactoballs but in all honesty I dont think they do anything. Once my last tub finishes I wont be buying any new ones

Is there anyway to bring nitrate down to around 1-2ppm??

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von vikz ()

• Thank Vinny, It is because I have seen some stunning FM tanks with 1-2ppm of Nitrate, in which certain acro's display 2/3 different colours in the same animal as opposed to simple 1/2 colours.

I do not dose any BAK in the system.

Increasing bactoballs in my experience really does nothing at all.

Do you suggest I start adding a carbon source or perhaps double the BRB to 28??