Nitrate not going down

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Hi Vinny,
      I have been dosing Ultra Organic since March 2017. Dosing 1.1ml for my 150litre tank. (Recommendation was 1ml/100litre)

Decided to try Ultra MinS. Just got it today. Dosing recommendation is 3-5ml/1000litre and wanted to start at 50% of recommended dose. So dosing at 0.2ml for my 150litre tank.

My N03 is 1ppm. Do you see any issues on the dosing amount for UltraMinS?

Side note: i am also dosing RV and CE every 4 days

Pls advice
    • Vinny,
      My diatom problem does not seem to go away. I checked my silicate, po4 , nitrate and they seem to be on the acceptable level.

I have a rock that is cover with diatom and it is only about 15cm away from the the pump. My back glass and the right side of the tank is worst hit.

I really don't know what ti do next
    • What kind of lighting are you running and for how many hours per day?
      Are you getting any direct sunlight hitting the tank?
      • Check the TDS coming out of your RO/DI unit, it should be no higher than 3 TDS.
        • Do you find that the diatoms grow quicker after each water change?
      • Add a combination of 12 hermit crabs and 4 more snails; blue legs, red legs, turbo snails, cerith snails
    • Vinny,
      I have a orpek atlantik v3+ compact. It has 4 channels and all channels at the same intensity at 63%. The channel 1(white) is 5hrs at 63%, ramp up in 3 hrs and ramp down 1 hr. this time is orpek's pre set programme and i just changed the intensity.

No sunlight on tank.

I am only using DI system without RO. TDS is zero.

I clean sandbed during water change and it appear about two days later till the next water change. After light goes of, diatom reduce and gets back when light on.
      I just reduced the intensity to 60%
      will add more clean up crew
    • Vinny,
      Diatom does not seem to go away.

I stopped Organic and min s and that doesn't have any effect.

I reduced my light intensity. I bought hanna phosphorus ULR tester and PO4 is 0.031.

I am doing wet skimming now.

Every parameter looks ok but the diatom is not going away. My entire sand bed is covered with diatom

I seriously have no more idea anymore.
      magnetic frag rock
      I did add a month before added Tunze magnetic frag rock. Could that be leach highging silicate?

Pls advice
    • gettingthere schrieb:

Hi Kilo,

can you confirm that those are diatoms, do you have access to a microscope or do you know anyone who has access to a microscope? I'm asking this because it could be some sort of brown cyano bacteria or even dinoflaggelattes.

if you could rule out cyano/dino then perhaps your sand or the frag rock might leach silicate.
      I do not have access to microscope nor know anyone who has access to microscope.

my sand is brown in color but its not in a film form. on the rock i have two- three patches at different location red film type algae. i added a picture but its not very clear

i think my rock work and the frag rock also leach silicate because both are ceramic rocks

i bought my rock work from i used GFO from day 1 and the impact of algae was little

then a month ago added the Tunze frag rock, dosed Ultra Min S and the algae exploded

i stopped Ultra Min S and has no impact. i'll be removing the frag rock tomorrow and perform 15% water change. Waiting for UltraPhos0.04 and will replace my current GFO

Is there anything else i should do?
      • thumbnail.jpg

65,38 kB, 810×1.080, 39 mal angesehen
    • Hi Kilo,

that looks like cyano ,typically they come in red slimy version, to me. does this patch come back after you siphon it out? I didn't read about your rockwork is made of ceramic but then yes that could leach silicate and diatoms are driven by silicate.
      there is a invertebrate named "fighting conch - strombus alatus" they are voracious diatom and algae eater. perhaps you can get more information on the net about this animal and then try to get one. I personally would try a fighting conch first and see how the aquarium looks like after a couple of weeks.

• Can someone confirm the following statement about diatom and dino? since i don't have assess to a microscope below is what i read:

dino: Often you will see a lot of little oxygen bubbles trapped in it.This is a harmful micro algae and might sensitive invertebrates like snails and sea stars.

diatom: Rubbing them between the fingers it will feel like sand as the shell of the diatoms are made out of silicon dioxide. They don't have trapped air bubbles, and the colouration is grey to brown.

Mine has bubbles but did not notice my Nassarius Snail or Turban Snail die. i will try rubbing the sand later

i am very confused.
    • Diatoms can have a brown/grey appearance. If you take a sample and smell it, it may have a slight odor. Both dino and diatoms can trap air bubbles. If you have areas that have a string-like appearance, it is very likely dino. There are many different kinds of dino, some are toxic, other types are not.

The photos you showed on post 28 looks more like diatoms, not dino. The last photo you posted looks more like cyano because of the red-ish maroon color.

One solution for the diatoms would be to siphon as much as possible during a water change and blackout the tank for a full 24 hours. This means that your light must be off for 24 hours and tank must be 100% covered from any sunlight. The corals will be okay with this for a day. Diatoms tend to grow also due to light.

Continue with Phos 0,04 and do add the fighting conch as suggested earlier. They are very effective cleaners for various kinds of algae and diatoms.
    • Vinny,
      Thanks for your reply.

I scooped up the brown algae and smelled it. It smelled like my filter sock so I really don't know.

When you say Dino has string-like apprearance, does that mean they float upwards in a string like manner with bubbles on TOP?

I agree there are 1 or 2 patches of red cyano. Took it , wiped it on a towel, and its Maroon Color.

Someone in another forum mentioned , take the algae , put it in a cup and stir it. If it clump back, it's Dino. See attached

I will assume its diatom first. I will perform a water change and black out the tank for 24 hrs. I will try to get a fighting or tiger conch. At the same time I believe my rockscape is also leaching silicate. Thought of using SERA marin silicate clear.

I have been reading a lot on Dino. One interesting solution was to increase nitrate to 2-3ppm and the Dino will go away.
      I also read your post in another topic and you suggested keeping nitrate between 2-5ppm. Now my test kit is showing 0-1 ppm nitrate. The values both of you mention seems to be aligned and I thought that might help. Question: how to increase nitrate slightly?

I want to confirm whether all the Products I use on my tank is appropriate. Pls check and advice:
      1) Ultrabak - daily 0.3ml
      2) ultra organic- every two day 0.5ml (alternate with Min S)
      3) Ultra Min S-every two day 0.2ml ( alternate with organic
      4) RV -every 4 days. 3 (0.5ml) spoons
      5) CE- every 4 days . 2.25ml
      6) balling light- daily
      Weekly 15% water change. Currently running Rowaphos and PO4 is 0.3ppm. Once it increase, I plan to change to ultraphos 004

My take is ~150litre
      Sorry for the Long reply. Pls advice
      • IMG_8949.JPG

567,12 kB, 2.285×1.714, 34 mal angesehen
      • IMG_8921.JPG

740,64 kB, 3.172×703, 37 mal angesehen
      • IMG_8950.JPG

638,77 kB, 2.285×1.714, 37 mal angesehen