Nitrate not going down

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• gettingthere schrieb:

Hi Kilo,

that looks like cyano ,typically they come in red slimy version, to me. does this patch come back after you siphon it out? I didn't read about your rockwork is made of ceramic but then yes that could leach silicate and diatoms are driven by silicate.
      there is a invertebrate named "fighting conch - strombus alatus" they are voracious diatom and algae eater. perhaps you can get more information on the net about this animal and then try to get one. I personally would try a fighting conch first and see how the aquarium looks like after a couple of weeks.

cheers
      I bought 4 fighting conch and they are not touching the brown stuff. Found them at the ‘Clean’ spot where there is no brown stuff. Does that mean the brown stuff is not diatom ?
    • gettingthere schrieb:

4 are too many I guess but perhaps you can feed them with some seaweed? Do you have a veterinary somewhere nearby you, they definitely have a microscope to check out and you could use your hand phone to make a pic but perhaps a vet might be able to identify the species.

coming back your other post, do they regroup after swirling?
      there is alot of ‘brown stuff’ for them. The fighting conch are just not touching them.

On the first try, they regroup but subsequent swirling, they don’t. Maybe they disintegrate
    • Kilo schrieb:

When you say Dino has string-like appearance, does that mean they float upwards in a string like manner with bubbles on TOP?

Dino can trap air bubbles so yes.

I will assume its diatom first. I will perform a water change and black out the tank for 24 hrs. I will try to get a fighting or tiger conch. At the same time I believe my rockscape is also leaching silicate. Thought of using SERA marin silicate clear.
      If silicates are the cause, then this would certainly help the cause of these diatoms.

I have been reading a lot on Dino. One interesting solution was to increase nitrate to 2-3ppm and the Dino will go away.
      I also read your post in another topic and you suggested keeping nitrate between 2-5ppm. Now my test kit is showing 0-1 ppm nitrate. The values both of you mention seems to be aligned and I thought that might help. Question: how to increase nitrate slightly?
      Increasing NO3 between 2-5ppm will also help. If you reduce your RV and BAK dose, you will see an increase in Nitrates. Reduce RV by 25% and BAK to 0.2ml daily. After about 1 week, Nitrates should begin to climb. You can test for this after 1 week of making the change.

I want to confirm whether all the Products I use on my tank is appropriate. Pls check and advice:
      1) Ultrabak - daily 0.3ml
      2) ultra organic- every two day 0.5ml (alternate with Min S)
      3) Ultra Min S-every two day 0.2ml ( alternate with organic
      4) RV -every 4 days. 3 (0.5ml) spoons
      5) CE- every 4 days . 2.25ml
      6) balling light- daily
      Weekly 15% water change. Currently running Rowaphos and PO4 is 0.3ppm. Once it increase, I plan to change to ultraphos 004
      Phosphate at 0.3 is quite high, did you mean 0.03? If so, then that level is okay and you can start using UltraPhos 0,04 to maintain PO4 at that level.

My take is ~150litre
      Sorry for the Long reply. Pls advice
      My responses to your questions are above.

I would give the conchs at least one week before determining that they are not touching the diatoms. They need enough time to fully settle into the tank before they actually start cleaning.
    • Vinny@Fauna Marin schrieb:

Kilo schrieb:

When you say Dino has string-like appearance, does that mean they float upwards in a string like manner with bubbles on TOP?

Dino can trap air bubbles so yes.

I will assume its diatom first. I will perform a water change and black out the tank for 24 hrs. I will try to get a fighting or tiger conch. At the same time I believe my rockscape is also leaching silicate. Thought of using SERA marin silicate clear.
      If silicates are the cause, then this would certainly help the cause of these diatoms.

I have been reading a lot on Dino. One interesting solution was to increase nitrate to 2-3ppm and the Dino will go away.
      I also read your post in another topic and you suggested keeping nitrate between 2-5ppm. Now my test kit is showing 0-1 ppm nitrate. The values both of you mention seems to be aligned and I thought that might help. Question: how to increase nitrate slightly?
      Increasing NO3 between 2-5ppm will also help. If you reduce your RV and BAK dose, you will see an increase in Nitrates. Reduce RV by 25% and BAK to 0.2ml daily. After about 1 week, Nitrates should begin to climb. You can test for this after 1 week of making the change.

I want to confirm whether all the Products I use on my tank is appropriate. Pls check and advice:
      1) Ultrabak - daily 0.3ml
      2) ultra organic- every two day 0.5ml (alternate with Min S)
      3) Ultra Min S-every two day 0.2ml ( alternate with organic
      4) RV -every 4 days. 3 (0.5ml) spoons
      5) CE- every 4 days . 2.25ml
      6) balling light- daily
      Weekly 15% water change. Currently running Rowaphos and PO4 is 0.3ppm. Once it increase, I plan to change to ultraphos 004
      Phosphate at 0.3 is quite high, did you mean 0.03? If so, then that level is okay and you can start using UltraPhos 0,04 to maintain PO4 at that level.

My take is ~150litre
      Sorry for the Long reply. Pls advice
      My responses to your questions are above.

I would give the conchs at least one week before determining that they are not touching the diatoms. They need enough time to fully settle into the tank before they actually start cleaning.
      Vinny,
      Thanks for your taking time to reply.

I skipped 2 RV dose and stopped Bak for 4 days. Also skipped my last regular week water change. Believe NO3 is increasing and i'll measure it later. There seems to be some improvement and brown algae has reduced slightly but its too early to conclude anything. I sucked the brown algae yesterday and will continue to monitor the situation.

I have also stopped Ultra Min S temporarily.

I will add Sera Marin Silicate Clear as a control measure for silicate.

you are right , my PO4 is 0.034. i plan on change to UltraPhos0.04 next week
    • Vinny
      Well, finally found my issue is diatom and also found my JBL nitrate test kit was show wrong value. Bought a salifert and nitrate was 10ppm. PO4 is 0.034ppm . Diatoms are this there but Not as bad as 2 weeks back. Tried to increase more flow but the sand flies everywhere and get shifted
      Increased ultrabak to max dose but cyrno start to come and cut the half.

I want to reduce nitrate to at least 5ppm but it’s tough. Any advice on this?

Also suspecting my skimmer I’d not performing well.
      I am using Bubble Magis Curve 5. Will be cleaning it up tomorrow hoping that will help.
      May i know where should keep the water level inside the skimmer?
      Is it at the neck below the collection cup or somewhere in the collection cup tube.

Might consider change the bubble magus skimmer to deltec 600ix skimmer

Thanks
      Bilder
      • A7C3D50C-A237-4FE7-B1D4-A94A1039D907.jpeg

249,72 kB, 2.448×3.264, 38 mal angesehen
    • You can increase the NO3 reduction effect by increasing the number of Bacto Reef Balls you use. I suggest increasing to 6-7 balls in a slow flow area. These balls should last you at least 1 week, even with NO3 at 10ppm.

A stronger skimmer will certainly help with better nutrient reduction. Typically the bubbles should break at the area where the skimmer cup detaches from the body.
    • Hi Vinny,
      Finally I feel diatom issue is under control. From 100% sand covered with diatom , now it’s about 10%.

NO3 at 10ppm. PO4 at 0.034ppm . Both tested last night.

Waiting for my BRB to arrive to increase number of balls. My aim is to reduce it to 5ppm.

Added 0.5kg of siporax, cleaned my skimmer and controlling water level. Skim mates are more dark and foul smelling indicating better nutrient export. Lesson learnt, clean your skimmer regularly

Cleaned & repositioned power heads for better flow and reduce dead spot.

My plans moving forward(tank 150litres). Correct me if anything is wrong:

1) Maintain Ca @ 400ppm, Mg @ 1300ppm & dKh @ 7.7 via balling light
      2) nutrient control: 3-4 or more BRB; Ultra Bak @ 0.5ml; Ultra phos 0.04 @ 150ml
      3) Trace Element: CE @ 2.25ml every 4 days; Ultra Organic @ 0.3ml daily
      4) Water change 18% weekly- may reduce to 10% weekly
      5) LPS coral food: Ricordea / Zoanthus Food & LPS Grow and Color twice a week. RV 0.2ml ( 4 spoon from salifert test kit)

Advice needed
      1) Stopped Ultra MinS. Not sure if i should continue this. Was also thinking of adding Ultra Amin instead. What is the difference between MinS and Amin? Mine is mix reef.
      2) Planning on added coral sprint & Carb L. Read CS will not increase NO3 & PO4. Maybe rather than every 2 days, i could do every 4 days

Regards
      Mahendran
    • Glad to hear it!

Your plans look good to me. I would not however discontinue Ultra MinS dosing as this supplement is providing key elements which are not present in CE or Organic. As nutrients continue to drop, you may need to adjust your MinS dosage. The lower the nutrients, the less MinS is needed. A typical sign of MinS overdosing is a green-ish film over the front and side tank walls within a day or two of dosing.

Ultra Amin is optional. With NO3 at 10ppm, I would hold off adding this product at least until you reach 5ppm.

You can do CS every 4 days and see how your corals respond. If you go this route, I would suggest turning your flow pumps off for 15 minutes so that all corals have a better opportunity to consume the food particles.
    • Vinny,
      My NO3 got high and is at 25ppm. Trying to get back it down again.
      Currently I put 8bacto balls and change it every 10days. I dose 1ml ultra bak daily. 15% water change every week.

How high of a ultra bak dose can I go for a150litre? Or high dose of ultra bak has no impact as Long o increase the dose gradually?

Thanks