Switching to Fauna MArin, acclimating question

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Switching to Fauna MArin, acclimating question

Hi there!

I just bought a ZeoMatic reactor 2.0 which I should receive next week! I already use the FM Alk, calcium and Mag supplements since 8 months. For the nitrate reduction I use No3Po4x (Nopox) at a dose of 24ml per day (12 ml in the morning and 12 ml in the evening)
      I want to switch without hurting my actual Sps-Lps corals, how should I proceed to gradually take off NoPox...
      Here is my system profile:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 300 US gallons
      2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 240 US gallons
      3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique : dosing pump with Fauna MArin Calcium
      4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) : using Red Sea No3Po4x
      5. Are you using Ozone: no
      6. Are you using UV: no
      7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume): swc 250 - 2 pumps
      8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels: No3 = 2ppm, Po4 = 0.24ppm
      9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels: Ca=400ppm, Alk=7.7dKh, Mg=1350ppm
      10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.): sump and live rock only
      11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.): ecotech marine pro 3 * 3 fixtures
      12. What corals do you keep: Mixed LPS and SPS
      13. Tissue color (light or dark): dark and brownish
      14. How long has the tank been running: 6 years
      15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system: nutrient reduction and better colors and healthier SPS
      16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.): Red Sea Color program
      17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.): 300 pounds, 6 years old
      18. Any present problems : very light hair alguea
      19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.): hard time too keep healthy SPS
      20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.): Salifert and Hanna checker
      21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.): N/A, using 24ml per day of No3Po4x
      22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.): salinity 1.026, temp 78F
      23. Which salt brand do you use: Instant Ocean, 20% water change each 3 weeks..

The calcium, mag and Alk are supplied via dosing pumps.

I am excited to switch to the full FM products, but I want to make sure how to proceed..

thanks!

;)
    • Hi,

As long as the changes are gradual, you will not hurt your coral. :)

I recommend you start by using Ultra Phos 0,04 to reduce your Phosphates to a lower level and also start cutting the No3Po4x dosages by half every week for two weeks. At the end of the second week, you can introduce the full Zeo-Light system by following the dosing instructions in our manual.

For your system, you can start with the following:

Zeo-Light
      900g of Zeo-Light stirred every 2 days; 75% replaced every 4 weeks

Reef Vitality
      3/4 capsule every 4 days or 2x/week
      * If Nitrates begin to rise above 15ppm after 2-3 weeks of dosing, increase dose to 1 full capsule.

Coral Balance
      4.5 measuring spoons every 4 days or 2x/week

Color Elements
      4.5ml every 4 days for the first 3 weeks, then increase dosage by 0.5ml every 2-4 weeks until desired colors are achieved. Be sure to dose no more than 5ml per 26 US gal. You can make adjustments to each bottle as necessary. Some tanks will use more of one bottle than the others.

Ultra Min S
      1.8ml every 2 days

Ultra Carb L
      500g in a media reactor; replaced every 4 weeks, but not within the same week of replacing Zeo-Light media.

During the transitional phase, depending on how much you feed, Nitrates may begin to rise. Maintain the 3/4 capsule dose of Reef Vitality and increase dose if Nitrates go above 15ppm.
    • Dear Vinny,

Thanks for the detailed answer!! Until I received my stock from FM, should I put back my Rowa-Phos reactor because I removed it a while ago to see if the No3Po4x alone method was enough to remove both Po4 and No3 content from my tank.
      Also when I have the full kit, will I still need to use the Ultra Phos or the media will be able to control both No3 and Po4?

Regards!
      :/
    • Dear Vinny,

Still waiting my stuff, but meanwhile I followed your suggestion and added Ultra Phos to bring the Po4 down. Since 2 weeks now it has been running inside a Octopus reactor (500ml of Ultra Phos) and the first days it was running at 300L / h, I have reduced it to 150L/h after 3 days but when I do testing, it went down to only 0.18 using a Hanna-Checker.
      I will perform water changes but I would like to understand why it is not going down it this amount of time.
      thanks for your help, :|
    • With a tank so big it can take time and several changes of removermedia before po4 is dropping. You probably have excess po4 build up in the sand if not vaccumed when performing waterchanges or detrius build up in sump or nutrient being bound in the living rocks. Thos takes times to deplete and some small change of sand a couple of percent in a time can also do the trick if you use sand. Patience is needed when lowering from this much po4 to ulns. Also looking over your feeding schedule and rinse frosen food before adding it can help in control the input of nutrients in tank long term
    • I take it you're talking about the Zeo-Matic reactor?

The larger pump is to be mounted onto the reactor and put on a timer. The inlet of this pump should also have the air inlet connector connected. One end of the airline tube connects to this piece and the other end to the thin tall tube.

Mount the small pump onto the other end of the reactor body and set that pump to run continuously.
    • began the preparation for the switching from NoPo4x to the Zeolight system! Cut the dosing of NoPo4x to half as specified in the beginning of this thread. Just one worry; is the No3 going to rise up too much before the end of the second week when I begin the full introduction has specifed?
      just double checking... By the way my P04 is down to 0.06ppm and the No3 is 8ppm.
      thanks in advance Vinny!
      :D
    • Dear Vinny,

now running the 2nd week of reactor and Zeolight system. One question; is it normal that the water gets cloudy when puting the CB (4.5 measuring spoons) ? It clarifies within an hour or so. Also as expected my nitrate climbed up to 30 ppm, should I worry? Do I need to run bacto reef balls in my system?

Last question; before switching I had a slight issue of hair algue which is still present, should I do something to reduce the amount of it? Existing corals are fine so far with the switch over!

thanks as usual for you professionnal advices!
    • Dear Vinny,

The hair algue was already present in the tank before switching to Zeolight method. Right now does not seems to increase but it does not decrease also. My P04 with Rowa-Phos reactor is at 0.07ppm, I do not seem to be able to go lower than that and I am using 1.0 liter of Rowa-Phos.
      last year, I introduced chaeto in a refugium and for a while the hair algue disappeared but came back when I tried to reduced No3Po4x before the transition.

thanks,
    • Dear Vinny,

Please find pictures of my tank and setup for your reference. The picture showing the hair algue you will see also an invasive 'Clavularia', tell me if there is something to eradicate this. I put some comments on the picture for additional info.

thanks in advance!
      Bilder
      • IMG_2187.JPG

889,5 kB, 1.224×1.632, 85 mal angesehen
      • IMG_2188.JPG

520,34 kB, 1.224×1.632, 81 mal angesehen